Maintaining Your Meat Band Saw
Here are some nice guidelines and tips to keeping your band saw in tip top operation.
Recommended grease for standard service conditions Is Mobil Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special with Lithium Thickener
1. UPPER WHEEL BEARINGS: Grease every four (4) months. Change grease every twelve (12) months.
2. LOWER BEARING HOUSING: Grease every four (4) months. Change grease every twelve (12) months.
3. MEAT CARRIAGE BEARINGS: Grease every four (4) weeks.
4. SAW GUIDE BAR: Oil daily with N.C. Saw Parts food machine oil.
5. MEAT GAUGE GEAR RACK: Oil daily with N.C. Saw Parts food machine oil.
6. BLADE TENSION SPRING SCREW ASSEMBLY: Grease every 4 weeks
NOTE: Remove upper wheel and turn #14782 Blade Tension screw clockwise until it bottoms out against #14781 Blade Tension Handle then fill the cavity under the O-Ring on the #14782 Blade Tension Screw with #374 Mobil Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special with Lithium Thickener-assemble.
7. MOTOR BEARINGS: Bearing grease will lose its lubricating ability over time, not suddenly. The lubricating ability of a grease (over time) depends primarily on the type of grease, the size of the bearing, the speed at which the bearing operates and the severity of the operating conditions. Good results can be obtained if the following recommendations are used in your maintenance program. A high grade ball or roller bearing grease should be used.
Recommended lubrications intervals is every 9 months with the equivalent of two (2) teaspoons of grease.
When lubricating the upper wheel bearing it is important that the three hex head screws securing the upper wheel hub cap be loosened slightly before attempting to pump grease into the grease fitting. Loosening the screws allows for an escape of old broken down grease and air from the bearing cavity. Failure to loosen the screws before greasing the upper bearings can cause the upper shaft seal to be dislodged from the upper wheel allowing grease to escape and moisture to get into the cavity. When finished greasing the bearings, re-tighten the three screws. Take care to also clean off any grease that was pushed out of the cavity during greasing.